Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Safety in the Comfort of Home




BEEP!

"What is that?"      I'm thinking as I lay in my bed.
"Did I imagine that sound?"

BEEP!

Now I'm awake enough to realize it is the Beep of one of our smoke detectors in the house.

BEEP!

So I'm laying there thinking . . . when was the last time I changed the batteries in the smoke detectors?

BEEP!

Um . . . like . . . Never! 

BEEP!

It would be too much trouble.  I don't even know how to do it.

BEEP!

Good grief!  Is that thing going to keep beeping all day long?

BEEP!

So I check for batteries in the drawer.  No batteries for the smoke detectors.

BEEP!

How many smoke detectors do we have?  Seven.  Good grief! 

BEEP!

So I gather up the Ferrell boys and head to Dollar General to buy batteries.  $32 later I have the batteries, and I resign myself to the dreadful task of changing the batteries in ALL the smoke detectors.

BEEP!

What a pain this is going to be!  I get the ladder.  I get the batteries.


I find one smoke detector on the kitchen counter.  Dave has removed it from the ceiling.

I examine it and discover there is this little compartment for the battery that you just push, and it pops out so you can remove the old battery and insert the new one.


You don't even have to unscrew the smoke detector from the ceiling to change the battery.

Who knew?!?

I changed the batteries in ALL the smoke detectors in our house.  It took about 5 minutes.  The hardest part was moving the ladder to every location, but that wasn't too difficult.

So . . . smoke detectors are very important.  We are encouraged to change the batteries in our smoke detectors at least once a year.  It is suggested that you pick an easy time to remember to do this task every year by choosing to change the batteries around the same time every year such as on your birthday or when we change our clocks for daylight savings time.  We are also encouraged to check the smoke detectors every month by pushing the tester button to see if it beeps.  If it doesn't beep, then you need to change the battery.

Okay.  Check.  Done! 

Tonight I'll sleep in comfort knowing that the smoke detectors are working with brand new batteries in them.  And I won't be waking up to the . . .

BEEP!

of a smoke detector.  The ring of my alarm clock . . . maybe. 

Until then . . .  sleeping safely and comfortably tonight at home with . . .

                           the Ferrell boys and me!



I also linked up at this great party:  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!