Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Makeover Monday - Grout Cleaning


This week's "To Do"  item on my Breakfast Room Makeover is cleaning the grout in between the floor tiles.

When Dave and I laid the floor tiles, we used a product that you mixed with the grout and was supposed to seal the grout.   It seems to be working with the tiles in the bathroom, but the tiles in the kitchen started showing some serious dirt in the grout.

Here is a picture of the floor tiles under the kitchen table.



I took some close-ups of the stains to better illustrate the problem.  Yuk!




So I did some research on how to clean grout.  I decided to try OxiClean.  I followed the instructions for mixing the oxiclean for grout cleaning.  . . .  4 tablespoons of oxiclean for a gallon of warm water.  The first time I did this, I actually heated the water up on the stove and dissolved the oxiclean into the water, but after that, I just mixed the oxiclean into hot tap water.

I poured the oxiclean mixture onto the grout/tiles and let it sit for 30 minutes.


 
I started using a foam paint brush to apply the oxiclean mixture because it seemed to give me more control over the mixture and didn't waste so much of the mixture on the tiles.



The oxiclean mixture started foaming and bubbling up . . . that's how it works!


The bubbles show that the oxiclean is working!


After the 30 minutes was up, I used a hard bristle brush to scrub the grout.


I cleaned the grout a little bit at a time . . . in 30 minute segments . . . throughout the day.  Zach even pitched in to help me clean the grout. 



Once you scrub the grout with a hard bristle brush, then you mop up the area several times.  It may take 3 or 4 times mopping the floor with clean water to get all the oxiclean solution off the floor. 

Here is the tile/grout in the Breakfast area once we had cleaned the grout with the oxiclean mixture and mopped the floor several times.


The floor is still wet in the picture shown above.  Once the grout dried up, you could really tell a difference.


I took a picture to show the difference between the grout I had cleaned next to the kitchen area where I hadn't yet cleaned the grout.  I think you can really see the difference.


Here is the Breakfast area after I had cleaned the grout and the area was completely dry.



Before . . .


Same spot after . . .



But even though the grout cleaned up to the original color we used . . . I still wasn't happy with the color of the grout.  What to do?  Read about it in Makeover Monday - Grout Refresh with . . .

                             the Ferrell boys and me!

I'm linking up to these parties:


saving4six




SixSistersStuff.com

14 comments:

  1. Very nice!! there is so much information on this blog keep posting good information like this so that I can come back every day for some new info...
    grout cleaning melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  2. The floors look awesome!!! I need to try this out at our house!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really the floor is looking awesome after the grout cleaning. And I like the idea of showing that little kids doing this. Thanks for such important details and keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy that I found your site, it's fantastic tips, I will bookmark and try to visit your blog more frequently.

    Texas Tile & Grout Restoration

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used NuGrout Colorant to color the grout in my kitchen. My floor looks fantastic! The best part is I saved a bunch of money since I didn’t have to re-grout the tiles. My wife LOVES the outcome! You can find out more about these products at http://www.nugrout.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day!
    Tiles and Grout Cleaning

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is plenty of tiles to clean thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s nice to see the little ones helping out in cleaning. Not only does it make the work easier, it also makes it more fun, doesn’t it? Anyway, great job posting a detailed instruction on how to clean the grout. It’s a very tricky task, especially when you’re dealing with differently colored grouts. I find that a paste of Borax powder and some water are effective as well when cleaning light brown grouts.

    Veronica Newton @ Dry1st.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That must have been some hard work! It's a good thing though that you were able to show this to us as this would definitely give idea to our friends out there on how OxiClean works in cleaning grout. Does the product have any unwanted fumes or smells? That might be a concern for some, though.

    Gail Wallace

    ReplyDelete
  10. SKPC is a leading pest service provider in Cockroach, Bed Bug, Mosquito, Wood Borer, Termites, Bird nest protection and other General Pest Control Service. We take pride in the fact that no one knows pests the way we do. SKPC network and expertise is unparalleled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is very interesting and your article is also amazing. Keep posting such valuable information about Tiles cleaning. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!