Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Awareness begins at Home


Today was "PINK Out" day in my community.  Everyone was encouraged to wear PINK today to help raise awareness about Breast Cancer.

The schools participated by having all the teachers and students wear PINK today.  

The public middle school came over to my son's school all decked out in PINK.  They released PINK balloons.  There was some kind of assembly too.  I didn't go.  I had to work.  But I sent the Ferrell boys to school all PINKED out!  Don't they look cute?!?  


I can honestly say this is a first for me.  I don't think I've ever dressed my boys in PINK before today.

In fact, Shane didn't want to get his picture taken in a PINK shirt!  Ha!

What does any of this have to do with Awareness beginning at Home?  Well, Alex is my inquisitive one.  And he asked me why was everyone supposed to wear PINK to school . . . 

And I realized that I was dressing my boys up in PINK and sending them to school without ever explaining to them the reason for the PINK shirts.


So I explained to Alex and Zach what breast cancer is and why we are wearing the PINK shirts today.
Or at least I tried to explain.  Some subjects are very complicated to understand.  But it's a start.

A start of Breast Cancer Awareness at my home . . . Not a comfortable subject to talk about with little boys, but learning about Breast Cancer and becoming aware of how it touches everyone . . . even us . . . is something my boys should learn about from me . . . in the Comfort of our Home.



Looking Pretty in the PINK with . . .

                         the Ferrell boys and me!

I'm linking up to these fun parties:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!