Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Comfort Food: Beef Tips and Gravy


Now that the days are getting to be more like Fall weather, I find myself wanting good ole Comfort Food for supper.  

A great Comfort Meal is Crockpot Roast and Gravy, but sometimes you don't plan ahead enough to get the roast in the crockpot in the morning so you have to do the next best thing . . . in the oven!

Here's a recipe I found on Pinterest and we love it . . . 






You can find the original recipe post at Mommy's Kitchen here.

I have made this recipe many times and it is super easy.  Sometimes I make her recipe and sometimes I make my own version of the recipe.  It just depends on what I have in the pantry.  The main trick to making this yummy meal is to leave the dish in the oven for the entire 3 hours without peeking under the tin foil!

Start with a Chuck Roast or Shoulder Roast or whatever roast is on sale.  


I trim off all the fat on my roast, and then I cut it into 1 1/2 inch pieces to make beef tips.  Layer the beef tips in a 9 x 13 pan that's been sprayed with cooking oil.



These are your ingredients for the recipe:


I don't always use the onion soup mix.  If I have it in the pantry, I include it, but most of the time I just use the gravy mix, cream of mushroom soup, and 1 cup of water.  The onion soup mix give the beef tips the seasoning so if you don't include it, you need to season your meat before pouring the soup mixture on the tips.

Mix the soup, package brown gravy mix, 1 package onion soup mix, and 1 cup of water together in a bowl using a whisk.  The original recipe also called for mushrooms, but my boys wouldn't eat mushrooms so why bother with them . . . right.

Pour soup mixture over beef tips and stir to cover all beef tips.  Cover tightly with foil.


Place in 300° preheated oven for 3 hours.  Do Not Peek Under Foil.
The foil works to cook the roast in the oven with the same results as if you had cooked it in the crockpot.  

When the 3 hours are up, remove from oven and carefully remove foil.  Serve with noodles or rice.



This is a delicious meal that is definitely in the comfort food category for . . . .


                  the Ferrell boys and me!

I'm linking up to these fun parties:


Jam Hands

2 comments:

  1. I'm making a roast tonight! And of course I didn't put it in early enough so we have to have a late dinner! I'm excited to try this method next time I forget...

    Tatteredtotaylored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorite Pinterest test-kitchen recipes. So, so good and so, so easy!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!