Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Baby Calf and Turtles - Life on the Farm

I spent most of the day unpacking my Christmas stuff and arranging everything.  I'm still not satisfied with it so I decided to sleep on it tonight and work on it some more tomorrow.

While I was busy inside, Dave went out to the pasture to try out a new scope he had put on Zach's gun.   He was planning to do some practice shooting but instead he got a surprise . . .


Unbeknownst to us, one of our cows gave birth to a baby calf!  Isn't that cool?  We had 2 cows and 1 bull.  We actually started out with just 2 cows, but one of them was pregnant when we bought her, and she gave birth to a boy cow-bull!?!  I'm not on top of the whole cow jargon.  Just bear with me. 

Anyway, apparently the bull and one of the cows got happy together and now we have another baby calf! 


And now I'm wondering about the other cow . . . maybe there's another calf on the way!  We probably need to get a book or something. . . . Dave is counting on nature to figure it all out but I'm just not sure about that.

Changing the subject a little . . .  I love to cook, and I love to do crafty things so I have a true love for pinterest.com.  I can lose hours on that site.  I find all kinds of recipes and crafts I want to try so I save them to a special folder in my favorites list for when I get around to it.

Tonight I decided to try the Rolo turtle recipe I had seen on there during Thanksgiving.  I found the recipe HERE after I saw it on pinterest.com and saved it to my special Favorites folder for later. . . which was today!

They were so easy to make!  And they were so good!  The recipe takes small pretzels, Rolo candy, and pecan halves.   You put the Rolo candy on the pretzel.


I didn't use parchment paper, but next time I will.  The recipe I followed used square pretzels with smaller holes so the chocolate didn't squirt through to the cookie sheet like they did with the pretzels I used.  But mine were still yummy -- just need to use parchment paper!

Bake them at 350 degrees for 4 minutes or until the candies look soft.  Here are mine right after they came out of the oven.  I could have taken mine out a little earlier, I think.  You can see some of them have started melting and you don't want them to melt -- just get soft.


 After you take them out of the oven, press a pecan half into the center of the Rolo candy being careful not to burn yourself on the cookie sheet.


Let them cool on the cookie sheet.  Put them in the freezer to harden.  When you are ready to eat them, take them out of the freezer for a few minutes to warm up and then eat away!  They were so yummy!  Dave really enjoyed them.  I only have 5 left!  Of course, I took 6 to my parent's house so he didn't eat 20 turtles, but he did enjoy several . . . .and so did I!

I hope you are getting to enjoy some Christmas candy this holiday season.  If you have some time, try these Rolo turtles.  I'm glad I did!

Hope you have a wonderful Sunday and a blessed week! 

Tina and the Ferrell Boys

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!