Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter Morning With The Ferrell Boys

This Easter was a little difficult for me because my sweet Dave had to work.  It was the first Easter morning that we didn't spend together with the boys . . .

I had thought I would be okay with it, but I wasn't.  It's just not the same without my sweet Dave. 

The older boys woke me up all excited . . .


I used my cricut to put their names on Dollar Tree tubs . . . filled with Dollar store happies. . .



Alex loves legos and the army . . .


Easter happies everywhere . . .


At this point, Shane wasn't even awake . . . at least until the older boys woke him up!


Don't you just love the dinosaur costume crumpled up underneath the table and his cowboy boots left there at his seat . . .  I could have moved them for the picture, but I kindof liked seeing them there.  I don't know how much longer my sweet baby will want to wear his dinosaur costume . . .


What is the first thing he reaches for . . .  Toy Story!

I love the very serious expression he has on his face in these pictures where he is showing me what he got . . .  the much desired fishing pole . . .


He was so matter-of-fact about it all . . . look Mom . . a Toy Story art set . . .

And what is this . . . Toy Story briefs . . .

He loves the art set!  I picked that up for $5 at the Dollar General on Saturday night as a last minute item!  He has played with it everyday!  And yes . . he has colored all the pages GREEN!  Ha!  Can we get a new favorite color?!?


It's amazing the stuff you can get for $1 at the Dollar Tree!


Shane loved all his new toys, but for some reason, he put one of them in a "secret" hiding place . . .  Ha!  He's so funny sometimes!


The boys had a great Easter morning, and I enjoyed watching them go through their "baskets".   I just wish Dave had been here too!

We have been doing several Easter activities with the boys to teach them about the real meaning of Easter and about the Resurrection. 

We made Resurrection gardens and learned the story through the Teaching Eggs

This Easter morning, I wanted to have an interactive experience with the resurrection story.  So we made Resurrection Rolls.   I got the recipe and story from one of my favorite blogs, thewillcuttgirls.blogspot.com .  Shannon Willcutt posted about it last Easter, and I saved it in my favorites folders to do this Easter.  I'm so glad I remembered about it!

I had all the ingredients on hand.  I always have crescent rolls in the frig. and marshmallows in the pantry. 


I set the ingredients up on the table in an assembly line and then I demonstrated how to make one of the rolls while I told the resurrection story.  Then I let the boys make the rest of the rolls and tell me the story . . .

The marshmallow represents Jesus' physical body after he was crucified.  Dipping the marshmallow into the melted butter represents the special oils they anointed His body with to prepare it for burial.



Rolling the marshmallow in the cinnamon/sugar mixture represents the spices they rubbed on Jesus' body in preparing it for burial.



The crescent roll represents the tomb that Jesus' body was placed in.  The boys wrapped the marshmallow up in the crescent roll . . . totally covering "Jesus' body" . . .  being sure to seal it up real good by pressing together all the seams . . .


With only 8 crescent rolls in a can, each boy got to make 2 rolls a piece . . . 


which didn't set too well with Shane who wanted to make them ALL!  Ha! 
Look at his face!


I let the boys each take a step in making the last resurrection roll . . . one the butter, one the cinnamon/sugar mixture, and one the wrapping of the crescent roll.   Next year, I'll buy 2 cans of crescents!  The boys had a great time making the rolls, and I loved sharing the story of our Saviour with them again!


We baked the rolls at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.  Remember 12 minutes representing the 12 disciples  . . .     :D  Okay I added that part myself . . .


And when they are done . . . They look a little messy.  I don't know if the boys did a great job "sealing the tomb". 


But when you get your roll . . . Here is the tomb where Jesus was laid . . .


and break through the tomb . . .


You find that Jesus a/k/a the marshmallow is GONE!

The "Tomb" is empty!  Alleluia!

He is Risen Indeed!

We had a great Easter at Ferrell Farm . . . even with sweet Dave at work . . . because we have so much to be thankful for . . . and
on Easter we remember our Saviour and His sacrifice,
and God's Love for us . . .

His Love for You and His Love for . . .

                         the Ferrell boys and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!