Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Resurrection Gardening at the Farm

I had to work in Circuit Court during spring break so I didn't get to have any fun with my boys the week they were off.

We didn't go anywhere or do anything special -- at all. 

Now that Shane's birthday party is behind me, I'm all about getting ready for Easter and making up some of that missed Spring Break Fun with my boys.  I usually have the house decorated for Easter several weeks before the big day, but this year I decided to wait until after Shane's party.

So with Easter being one week away . . . the Ferrell boys and I started preparing for Easter by making Resurrection Gardens.  I saw a post about a Resurrection Garden on WeAreThatFamily blog and loved it!  It didn't look complicated and most of the items to make it are readily available at the farm.

I didn't have any clay trays to put our gardens in, but I had some plastic trays that the boys and I had painted for some reason or other . . .


I spray-painted the trays with some brown spray paint I had leftover from a past project involving a volcano . . .


I didn't want to spend any money on these Easter gardens so I tried to make do with items we have around the farm.  We have plenty of dirt . . .


Even though I didn't want to spend any money on this project, I did stop by the Dollar Tree and get 3 little clay pots ($1) and a bag of rocks ($1).


I was going to use some small cups for the tomb and rocks out of our driveway, but the 3 little clay pots for $1 is pretty reasonable, I think! 


And the rocks in our driveway are dirty and yucky. . . the bag of rocks I bought are shiny and pretty!  They made me happy.


To make the resurrection gardens, you lay the small clay pot on its side in the middle of the tray.  Then you pile dirt around the back and sides of the clay pot and on top of the clay pot . . .  covering the pot . . . making it look like a cave . . .


Be sure and put your pot in the tray before adding the dirt . . .  Someone wasn't following my directions exactly . . .


After mounding the dirt over and around the clay pot, you place the rocks in front of the opening of the clay pot . . .


Then you sprinkle grass seeds over the dirt.  We had some grass seed left over from last year that we used . . . I hope it still grows!


In the instructions for the Resurrection Garden, she says nothing about covering the seed up with dirt, but Zach and Shane covered their seeds up.  Alex left his exposed on top of the dirt.   


They put a lot of grass seeds on the dirt -- a Lot!  I wonder how much they should have put!?!  Look at Alex's garden!  It's covered in seeds!


After sprinkling the seeds on the dirt, we made crosses out of sticks.  I hot-glued the sticks together, and the boys placed the 3 crosses on the mounds of dirt -- behind the tomb.


We looked in the driveway and found 3 big rocks to "roll" in front of the tomb.


I had to help Shane finish his garden.  When I went inside to hot-glue the crosses together, he started loading the back of his dump truck with the leftover dirt . . . and that was the end of his interest in making the gardens!

Zach and Alex really enjoyed making the Gardens.  They asked if we could do this every year.  We watered the dirt and seeds and placed the Gardens on the front porch so it would get the morning sun.

Alex's, Zach's, and Shane's Resurrection Gardens
 I think this is an awesome project for Easter!  I can't wait to see the grass sprout on the hill and cover the tomb.


 Afterwards I cleaned up the mess we made on the patio by blowing off the dirt and then washing off the dirt that wouldn't blow off . . . Did I mention about Shane filling up his dump truck with dirt . . .and then dumping dirt all over the patio in several places . . .

Dave was somewhere else this evening, so it was just me and the boys for supper tonight.   I thought it would be fun to let the boys make their own pizza. 


This is not the type of activity that goes over too well when Dave is home.


Dave stresses out about the boys making a big mess -- especially about Shane making a mess! 


Me . . . I don't worry about the mess too much!  Ha!  Look at that sweet face!


 The pizzas turned out yummy and the boys had a great time making them.  I got the little pizza crusts and pizza sauce at the Dollar Tree today.  You gotta love that!

This morning Shane and I went to my Weight Watchers meeting to weigh in.  Dave and the other two boys stayed at home, but I thought it would be fun to take Shane with me for a change.

I weighed in and had lost 2 pounds! Yea!  That's 21 total pounds!  Woo Hoo!  They also let Shane weigh in.  :)  He got a sticker too.  They are so great at the Saturday WW meeting.  I really enjoy the group of ladies that work there on Saturday.

At the Dollar Tree, Shane was so cute.  I pushed a buggy around the store, and he carried one of the little baskets.  He was constantly putting things in his basket that he wanted to get.  I told him he could have 1 thing.  Ha!  He just ignored me and kept piling stuff in his basket!

When it was full, he turned to me and said, "I'm ready to go Mom.  I need to get this stuff scanned."  Ha!  And then he left me and headed for the check out line . . . broke in ahead of everyone . . . stood on his tippy toes to put the whole entire basket on the counter . . . and said, "It needs to be scanned."  Ha!  The check out lady was nice about it all.  Of course, she gave me a LOOK when I asked her to put the basket behind the counter cause he was only getting 1 thing out of it!  Ha!

We're starting the Easter story tomorrow . . . on Palm Sunday . . . with the Teaching Eggs!  I can't wait to share the story of the Resurrection with my boys! 

I hope you are looking forward to Holy Week . . . and more Easter Fun with

                       the Ferrell boys and me!

I'm linking up to



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!