Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sunday Chicken & Dressing Casserole

Last night I made Chicken and Dressing for dinner.  It's a recipe I got from my momma . . . one I had never tried, but she said it was soooooo good.

And as always . . . Momma was right!  It tasted just like the cornbread dressing we have at Thanksgiving with some chicken mixed in! 

Not a great picture - sorry!
 
Here's the recipe:

Sunday Chicken & Dressing Casserole

  • 3 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1/2 cup oleo  (I used 4tbsp of margarine)
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can chicken with rice soup
  • 4 cups cornbread crumbs
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp sage
  • 1 tsp poultry seasoning

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook onions and celery in margarine until translucent.  Heat chicken broth and soups (undiluted) in pan until mixed thoroughly.  Pour broth/soup mixture over cornbread crumbs.  Add cooked onions and celery.  Mix well.  Season with salt, pepper, sage, and poultry seasoning.

Pour and spread 1/2 of dressing mixture in a greased 3 qt. casserole dish.  Add chicken over dressing mixture.  Top with rest of dressing mixture spreading to cover.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until edges brown and casserole is firm -- not still wiggly in the center.  :)  It took mine about 10 minutes longer before I felt like it was done to the consistency I like.  The longer you cook it, the drier it will be.  To each is own!

The last instruction on the recipe was . . . "and serve it with love."   :)


By the way, my 9 x 13 pyrex dish is a 3 qt size dish.  And "oleo" is margarine for anyone that's not familiar with that term.  Ha!  And I was concerned about the chicken with rice soup -- sounded kind of weird to put in it, but I couldn't even tell it was in there after the casserole was cooked.  It must add some flavor or texture . . . I don't know.  I followed the recipe just like I posted it, and I wouldn't change a thing!

I made this with leftover cornbread from Sunday lunch so although it was a Monday night dish . . . the Sunday cornbread kept it authentic for the "Sunday" part of the chicken & dressing recipe!  Ha!  I kid-you-not when I say this was really good . . . and not hard to make either if you use leftover cornbread from another meal!

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

"Served with love" to you from

                          the Ferrell boys and me 


I'm linking up to








1 comment:

I love your comments!