Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Zach's All-Boy Spend the Night Party

Zach turned 8 years old on January 3rd.  We celebrated his birth with my family on New Year's Day, and we celebrated his birth on his actual birthdate at school during lunch, and then again that night as a family. . . but none of those celebrations were his "official" birthday party. 

Zach had already given me several different suggestions for a birthday party with his friends . . . Chuck E. Cheese's . . . Skate Zone . . . Football Party . . . Hunting Party . . .

On Monday, January 3rd, (his birthday) his desire was for a Hunting/Spend the Night party with just the boys.  So that's what I decided to do.  I talked it over with Dave and he said let's do it . . . this Friday!  I'm not kidding!  Five days to plan and prepare for a party?!?  Okay . . .

So I worked up some invitations quickly that morning and handed them out to the boys of the 2nd grade that same day before they left school.  We also let Alex invite 3 of his friends, too.  In total, we were inviting 12 boys to the party . . . counting Zach and Alex . . . that made a total of 14 boys!  I know . . . what was I thinking . . .

We picked the boys up at school that Friday at 3 o'clock.  We borrowed my friend Robin's suburban, used my van, and had Aunt Carolyn pick up a few . . . all in all we managed to get all 13 boys out to the farm legally!  One little boy wasn't able to attend the party, but all the boys in Zach's class got to come!

First thing on the party agenda:  Snack!  Chicken Nuggets and Chips and Dip!  They ate it ALL up!


I put a table on the end of my dining room table to make an extra-long table so all the boys could eat together.  Here is Zach and his best friend, Matthew.

Here is Alex and one of his best friends, Clay:

After the snack, Dave took me and the boys on a Hay Ride.

 Here are all 13 boys on the hay ride:

It was crowded but also kind of fun  . . .

I'm sure for a boy . . . it was loads of fun, but I'm a girl . . .

There was a point when I said "I've had enough!"  Look in the picture below.  See how tall the grass is . . . and the boys kept pulling it . . . .little pieces of grass were flying up my nose and in my eyes . . . which the boys thought was so funny!  I was a good sport about it for the first 35 minutes . . .

Luckily my desire for the hay ride to end and Dave's plans for the hayride coincided!  He turned us home just as I was reaching my breaking point!

After the hayride, we gave Zach his birthday present from us . . .


Some kind of rifle with 3 different barrels to change out so Zach can shoot birds, squirrels, rabbits, deer, dove . . . you get the picture.
He wasn't too impressed at first because he thought it was another bb gun. 

But once Dave explained to him about the 3 different barrels . . . well he couldn't wait to shoot it.

We let each of the boys have a turn shooting the gun, then it was time to play with some makeup . . . you know . . . the kind of makeup boys like . . camouflage!

Where did Zach go?


At this point . . . it wasn't even 7 o'clock yet!  Zach opened his presents and then I started getting the pizzas ready for the supper.  The boys played with their nintendo games, the playstation, and the wii games while I worked on supper.

After Pizza, the boys went outside for some night time football.


And for some fireworks.


We all came in for birthday cake and ice cream.



Then Dave said it was time for the boys to get out the sleeping bags and get ready for a movie. 

We watched Percy Jackson and the Olympians.   The boys loved it!  Then I lied and told the boys it was 1 o'clock in the morning when it was really 11 o'clock and they went to sleep thinking they had stayed up so late!

The next morning after a breakfast of waffles and sausage and biscuits, the boys continued to play video games


and table top games.


 until their parents came to get them.  Zach had a great birthday party, but I don't think I'll be having another spend the night party for 13 boys again for a very long time!

Tina and the Ferrell Boys

1 comment:

  1. hahaha You're either a great Mom or a crazy one! I can't believe Zach is old enough to HUNT. Where did the time go? Take care and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!