Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Something for my door . . .

I wanted something different and special for my front door this Easter.


The other day I was scrolling down my Facebook news feed and I came across a picture posted from Cheerios and Lattes blog of a cross made from stick bundles.

The instructions for making the cross wreath is on the Cheerios and Lattes blog . . . the only problem for me is . . . the blogger used some twig bundles that she bought at Hobby Lobby and we don't have a Hobby Lobby where I live.  :/

She suggested that you could gather sticks and make your own bundles.  So that's what I did . . . after all . . . I live on a farm.  :)


Also, notice the sander and my kitchen table . . . I'm still sanding on that table top!  I don't think I will ever be through!

First I cleaned the sticks of all the extra stems and brush sticking out the sides.  I made a nice little mess on the floor.


I sorted the sticks into two piles -- one for longer sticks and one for shorter sticks.


I tried to make the two pile even on the ends . . . no stick sticking out more than any other stick . . . and I tried to make the two stick piles the same density or size.


I wrapped some burlap ribbon around each stick bundle.  I think some leather string or twine would look great for this, but I didn't have any.


Then I placed the shorter stick bundle across the longer stick bundle to make a cross and wrapped the burlap ribbon around both to attach them together.


I wrapped the ribbon in a criss-cross pattern to attach the two bundles together.


This was a quick project to put together.  I hung the cross on my front door . . .


But it needed something . . . (Yes, I know I need to stain the front door!)  Ha!
I stopped by Dollar General and picked up some flowers . . . which were marked $3.00 but rang up 1 cent!  Yea !


I added the flowers to the cross . . .


Ok . . . still not happy with it . . . what to do . . .  so I stopped by Parker Florist to consult my florist friend, Robin, and she suggested I add a burlap bow.



What do you think?  Should I stop with the bow . . . should I chunk the bow . . . what to do?!?

I would appreciate some feedback.  I'm going to make a couple more crosses for two of my friends, and I appreciate any suggestions.  You know how sometimes you can't see something anymore because you've been looking at it for such a long time . . . any who . . .

until next time with . . .

                                the Ferrell boys and me!
I'm linking up to these awesome parties:

SixSistersStuff.com 


saving4six

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you hang it on the door? What did you use on the back to secure it?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!