Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Makeover Monday - Breakfast Table Redo


I'm still plugging away at my Breakfast area makeover. 

I've already painted the back door, cleaned the floor tile grout and "refreshed" the grout color.  I've shopped for new chairs and bar stools.  I've started on a Ferrell Farm sign to hang over the window. 

Now it's time to tackle the breakfast table.


I've had this breakfast table for 20 years.  It originally had 6 chairs with it, but now it's down to just 3 chairs.  Ferrell boys are rough on furniture.  :)

The boys and I have used this table for many of our craft and cooking projects over the past 10 years.

Making Easter bread last year.

Crafting.
 
Making Resurrection Rolls.
 I love this table.  But it has started to show a little wear from all the Ferrell love.  :)
The top of the table was starting to look pretty bad.  (see below)


 So the boys and I moved the table out to the garage, and I started sanding the top of the table with my hand sander.  In this picture, you can even see the black marks from Shane's new interest in magic markers.


I'm so blessed to have a hand sander.


I started out using 80 grit sand paper, but eventually switched to 60 grit coarse sand paper.  It really started doing a great job of taking off the table's finish.

I worked on it periodically all evening until I couldn't stand breathing the dirt up my nose any longer.  I know . . . I should have worn a mask.  I'll do that tomorrow, but it was too late when I realized it tonight. 

Here's the status of the table top as I finish up this post.


I still have more sanding to do especially on the sides.  I'm planning to work on it some more tomorrow evening and hopefully I'll have help from my sweet hubby, Dave. 
With Dave's help, I might even get finished with it this week which is my goal.

I also picked up this lovely picture at a garage sale this weekend for $1 dollar.


I think it is going to look great in the breakfast area . . . .


What are those animals in the painting? llamas?

Okay maybe it won't look great in the breakfast area as is, but wait and see what I have planned for it . . .

or rather what is planned for it during our next Makeover Monday with . . .

                         the Ferrell boys and me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!