Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year 2017

It's 2017, and I'm blogging again.  I've missed putting my thoughts down in this format.  I've missed recording my family's adventures and misadventures in this format.



I've been posting a lot on facebook and instagram, and for a while, I was satisfied with that method of connecting with my family and friends with our activities.  But now, I think more is needed.  I need this outlet for my thoughts and my ideas.



So here goes  . . . my first post in a while . . .

New Year's 2017:

In my family, we leave our Christmas decorations out until after the New Year.  It's our tradition.  Today, I'm saying goodbye (until next Christmas) to these Christmas decorations that have been sharing our holiday with us this year. 



These nutcrackers are a favorite of my boys.  We went to see a Nutcracker performance in Meridian a couple of years ago.  The nutcrackers they were selling at the theatre were way out of my budget, but Dollar General came through with these super cute nutcrackers.  Each of the boys have their favorite one.  And every year when I pull these out, my boys remember our night at the ballet . . . and the Nutcracker dancer in the tight white tights . . . with every bulge showing . . . Ha! My boys were horrified and hysterical at the same time!  Such fun memories. 



Our local school has an annual Christmas bazaar.  I alway love to buy handmade items for my Christmas decorations, especially when they are hand made by one of my friends. 



The wonderful Santa banner hanging on the inside of my front door was hand painted by one of my boys' teachers.  It's a favorite of mine.  The tree in the foyer is a favorite of the boys.  It has hunting and fishing ornaments on it along with shotgun shell lights.  :)



I am a crafty person.  I love to make things for my boys, and they love it when I make decorations for them.  I saw the nativity stocking holders on some blog I follow, and they were selling the vinyl cut-outs of the nativity they used to make the holders.  I ordered the vinyl cut-outs and followed their directions for making the stocking holders (with my daddy's woodworking help), and now I have these super special stocking holders for my boys' stockings.



My boys LOVE a countdown calendar.  We count down to Christmas every year, and this Nativity countdown calendar is a favorite of ours.  I made this several years ago, and some of the characters need legs (the sheep) or eyes or numbers (20 is missing), but we continue to use it regardless.  In each little pocket is a Bible verse to look up before placing the Nativity character on the backdrop.



We count down to baby Jesus being born and read the Bible verses telling of his birth every day as Christmas approaches.



My favorite room in the house is the dining room.  I love decorating a table.  I started collecting the BH&G Christmas dishes a few years ago, and I buy some pieces every year.  During the Christmas season this year, we ate at the dining room table for supper many times.  The boys loved it.



And collecting Christmas items is a habit of mine.  I started collecting the Willow Tree Nativity a few years ago and I buy a couple of pieces of it every year.  This is a favorite of mine.



Another favorite collection I have is my Dept 56 Snow Village.  I quit collecting it after I married Dave because I ran out of room to display it  . . . 



and I started have children which altered my ability to buy it.  LoL!



But I love it and so do the boys.  They are constantly rearranging it.



I'm going to find a place to leave it out year round because I love looking at it.



And now I have to pack it all up until next Christmas. I bought new plastic containers to put it all up into along with rolls of bubble wrap.


Our main tree with no ornaments on the bottom half.  LoL!

It makes me a little sad, but then I'm also looking forward to having a clean, uncluttered house again.


My kitchen "cupcake" tree.

So . . . I'm going to start packing and you can check back later to see what's been going on in the new year with

                   the Ferrell boys and me









No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!